Friday, January 11, 2013

"there is a place called heaven"...

**coffee date with dad. Nov 2012**



"There is a place called ‘heaven’ where the good here unfinished is completed; and where the stories unwritten, and the hopes unfulfilled, are continued. We may laugh together yet."
 J.R.R. Tolkien
 
 
 
on christmas day.
i said goodbye to my dad.
 
i sat beside him.
as his tired.
broken down.
and diseased.
human body.
took its last breath.
 
and i closed my eyes.
as his soul.
escaped.
 
free at last.
 
into the beautiful.
hereafter.
 
 **

and it felt like i might disappear too.
into the sky.
into the earth.

invisible.

it seemed like it would be.
so easy to do.
and so painless.

be gone from here.
be wherever he was.


but that isn't how these things go.

my body.
my soul.
were still one.
were still symbiotic.

i was still here.

**

and i'm glad for it.
and i know my dad is too.

there is work here.
un-done for me.
 
and i'm inspired.
anew.
to get to it.
 
**
 
i've learned.
the pain eases.
and it helps that.

i still feel.
a very real and present.
connection with my dad.

he's now the official.
over-seer of my dreams.

cheering me to the highest mountain tops.
to the farthest reaches of my comprehension.

where all our love lives on.
and we are laughing together.
still.


**

life is short, people.
shorter than we may ever know.
 
but it's amazing.
and beautiful.
and full.
 
if we let it.
 
let's live it now.
today.
 
while we can.
 
**
 
no regrets.
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. oh my...i'm sorry for your loss. prayers to you--may you continue to see massive beauty. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is perhaps one of the most beautiful posts i have ever read.

    i have walked a similar path. i am very deeply touched by your words.

    thank you for sharing this beautiful journey.

    sending you so much love from california.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Diane. I am overwhelmed by emotion after reading this. Sending you love and prayers. Such a comforting and hopeful quote from Tolkien.

    ReplyDelete

lovelovelove.